Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Guns 'N Things

Anyone with young boys in their home knows that little boys like to fight, kill, and defeat! An issue in our home right now (with a 2 yr old and a 1 yr old, both boys) is guns (I am speaking of play guns in this post). I don't know what the right way to handle the inevitable fact that boys like to pretend to shoot anything and everything. People have said, "Don't have guns in the house". This comment must have originated from mothers of little girls, because you don't have to have guns in the house for any little boy to shoot things. They use their hands, blocks, cars, or anything else for that matter. They have an imagination and the imagine they have a gun.

My boys have water guns in the bath tub to play with during their baths. Jack has been running around the house lately pointing it at me and saying, "Momma I'm shooting you". One reaction I have is to tell him that we do not shoot people, but that he can pretend to shoot his toys. Another reaction I have had is to tell him not to shoot mommy and ask him to find the monster and shoot it so that he can save mommy. I really don't know the answer to this one, morally or for safety purposes!

Any ideas are welcome!

2 comments:

A Princess, five guys - then me!! said...

I started off with boy number one and the no guns belief. I, too, quickly learned that they can imagine anything and anything can become a gun. That belief went out the window by number 2, and now, after four boys, we have LOTS of "guns".

Our rule is that you cannot point a "gun" at any people or animals. We really try to enforce that they play guns outside, but that doesn't always work either.

Anonymous said...

haha....we've been trying to figure this out too!! evan got a few toy "guns" for his birthday and christmas.....he isnt allowed to shoot people or the dog...(oh, and not baby jesus..(in the nativity scene)...yes, he asked! i told him that was probably a bad idea. ha.